Swedish massage is the fastest way to relieve aches and pains and release stress and tension.
Like Korean relaxation, Balinese massage, Asian massage (Shiatsu massage and reflexology), Oriental massage, Thai massage, Ayurvedic massage, Californian massage, seated massage, and Kashmir massage, Swedish massage brings health and well-being to the body.
Swedish massage is a practice designed to promote the symbiosis of mind and body, such as certain types of massage such as California massage, oriental massage, Californian massage or Thai massage.
What is Swedish massage?
Swedish massage is a classic therapeutic massage, one of the most popular massages in the world. This method is an effective way to relieve aches and pains in particular, but also muscular tension and stress. Its basic technique is percussion and its movements are generally applied to soft tissues of the body, joints, tendons and muscles.
Origin of Swedish massage
Swedish massage techniques were developed by a Swede named Pehr Heinrick Ling (1776-1839), who was a poet, teacher and doctor. They were originally intended to optimize athletes’ physical performance. Heinrick Ling had assumed that thought had a certain power over the body. For him, only a healthy mind can be the source of a healthy body.
Swedish massage: the notion of aches and pains
Caused by the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles, the aches and pains are muscle pain that occurs 24 or 48 hours after an intense physical effort. This pain sometimes lasts for a whole week and gets worse when the muscles are activated. To stop suffering from this pain, which can be an obstacle to daily tasks, a Swedish massage session is the fastest and most effective solution.
Swedish massage: different techniques
Swedish massage is applied according to technical movements that will stimulate the blood circulation for a better oxygenation and elimination of toxins:
- Percussion is the basic technique of all massage.
- Scratching by upward movements towards the heart.
- Kneading with fingers and hand pulp.
- The friction of the trigger points between the neck and shoulder.
- Mixing or, for some, tapping and vibration.
Conduct of a Swedish massage session
A Swedish massage session lasts on average 1 hour. The patient wears only a minimum of underwear. It lies on a massage table and is covered with a towel at the level of the parts not massaged. The practitioner uses anti-stress massage oil, lotion or cream to fluidify the movements.
Swedish massage: for what benefits?
The benefits of Swedish massage are physical and psychological:
- It relieves chronic and acute back pain and osteoarthritis of the knee.
- It provides tonus, well-being, relaxation and suppleness of the body.
- It facilitates drainage, i. e. the elimination of toxins and thus promotes blood circulation.
- It fights against stress, anxiety and depression (recommended massage for post-operative patients, hospital staff, etc.).