Shiatsu massage is a source of calmness, vitality, dynamism and health.
Shiatsu massage is a branch of Asian massage in the same way as reflexology. It is one of the different types of massage such as Thai massage, Oriental massage, Ayurvedic massage, Ayurvedic massage, Kashmiri massage, Balinese massage, Korean relaxation, Californian massage, Swedish massage and seated massage from which patients can choose.
Shiatsu massage is one of the most popular therapeutic massages, it consists of finger pressure on the body’s reflex points:
- Shiatsu massage is a therapeutic technique linked to traditional Japanese medicine.
- Its effectiveness has made it one of the therapeutic methods officially recognized in the Land of the Rising Sun.
- Shiatsu massage is one of the most popular massage techniques in Europe.
Shiatsu massage: what is it?
Shiatsu massage is rooted in traditional Chinese medicine. Originally, it was designed to treat all problems of dysfunction of the body through pressure at acupuncture points. The method was adapted by the Japanese, hence its name shiatsu literally means “pressure with the fingers”.
Like all Asian massages, shiatsu is based on the principle of energy flow governing the body. Its objective is to eliminate blockages in order to release energy and allow the body to regain stability and health.
How a Shiatsu session works
Japanese Shiatsu massage is a variation of Chinese acupuncture, but does not use needles. During a shiatsu session, the massage therapist exerts more or less intense pressure on the points to be treated. Their intensity varies according to the problem to be treated, the application can be painful in some cases.
The session is practiced on a fully clothed patient.
The therapist lies on a massage mat and then the practitioner presses down on a series of points intended to act on the faulty organs or muscle knots.
The session often ends with a moment of rest.
Despite its literal translation meaning pressure with the fingers, the masseur can mobilize other parts of his body. Depending on the degree of blockage, he can apply pressure with his fists, elbows or even his knees.
No massage oil is required and a session lasts approximately one hour.
Shiatsu massage : which benefits ?
Shiatsu massage has a lot of benefits. The pressure exerted on reflex points allows it to act on most of the physical and psychological disorders of the individual. Shiatsu is generally used in therapeutic massage, but this does not exclude its application for a relaxation massage and a wellness massage.
Shiatsu massage is especially recommended for:
- Reestablish the body’s natural defence system.
- Revitalize the body.
- Eliminate tension and stress.
- Promote muscle flexibility.
- Relieve muscle and joint pain.
- Optimize lymphatic flow.
- Calming the patient while increasing concentration.
- Re-balance body and mind.
- Heal abdominal pain.
- Make painful periods disappear.
- Avoid constipation.
Shiatsu massage: precautions to take
Shiatsu massage in a healthy patient is almost without serious risks. However, it can interfere with the proper functioning of the body:
- In case of open lesions.
- In case of inflammation.
- In case of potentially contagious skin infection.
- In case of hemorrhage.
- In case of ulcers.
- In case of severe malformations.
- In case of fever.
- In case of acute heart problems.
- In asthmatic patients.
- In patients with bone fragility.
- After a surgical procedure.