In addition to contributing to the success of massage, massage oil nourishes the skin, makes it breathe and gives it elasticity and softness.
Among the common massage products such as massage candle, clay and hot stones, massage oil is the most commonly used.
Massage oils find their use in the success of a wellness and health massage. Whether they are oils based on fruits, seeds or other parts of a plant, perfumed or not, their benefits on the body both physical and psychological are certain.
In addition, the massage oil allows the hands to glide smoothly and easily over the body.
Massage oil: how to make the right choice?
The choice of the oil to be used for massage plays a key role depending on the desired results. It must help to release blockages and tensions by bringing a deep well-being to the massaged person.
Choose a natural and pure massage oil
A massage oil must be a pure virgin vegetable oil (sunflower, sweet almond, grape seed), extracted by manual or mechanical cold pressing, as opposed to refined oils, which are extracted by solvents and then refined to remove the residues left by solvents.
Warning: if an oil contains traces of alcohol, this means that it is no longer a vegetable oil, but an oil that contains parabens. Parabens are chemically obtained preservatives to remove water from cosmetics for better preservation, and can be a cause of infertility and breast cancer.
Use essential oils
It is possible to cut the oil with an essential oil, in order to achieve a massage with the oil perfumed with essential oils. It should be noted that some essential oils have antioxidant properties and can therefore act as “natural preservatives”.
Good to know: an essential oil is an active product that does not apply directly to the skin.
Concerning essential oils, they have different virtues according to their origin. Precautions should therefore be taken in the choice of oils to be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Different criteria to consider
Several criteria can be taken into account in the choice of massage oil but, in general, the choice will depend on the type of massage, the expected result and the personal tastes of each person.
- Odour is often an important parameter of choice because it must contribute to the relaxation of the massage and its comfort. Hence the importance of essential oils.
- The texture of the oil also plays a major role because an oil that is too greasy, too fluid or too creamy in appearance may interfere with the proper application of the massage
- Finally, the penetration capacity of each massage oil is often different. Depending on your needs, you can opt for an oil that takes longer to penetrate the skin or an oil that can penetrate the skin fairly quickly.
How to use massage oils?
Massage oil can be used in different ways. It can be used directly on the skin without mixing it with other products. However, depending on the area to be massaged and the purpose of the massage, the masseur can adapt the ingredients of the massage oil :
- Camphor cream is suitable for large muscle groups such as thighs, because it is a semi-fat body (unlike oil, which is a fatty substance);
- camphor is never used for the face: one prefers to use a lotion, fluid, light, that does not leave a greasy film (actually, the skin of the face is already oily naturally, you should avoid adding a greasy substance).
The neutral base
Ideally, a neutral base should be used, which is a mixture of different vegetable oils that can balance each other. For example, sunflower + olive + sweet almond:
- Sunflower oil is often used as massage oil: it is a very good oil, but it is dry because it penetrates quickly.
- Olive oil is never used alone in massage, because it is too fatty. On the other hand, it is used in a neutral base to control the glide film: thus, the more olive there will be in the base, the less quickly it will penetrate.
Application of massage oil
The application of a massage oil can be summed up in a few steps:
- First, it is necessary to warm the hands by applying a little oil to the palm and then rubbing the hands.
- The oil must then be applied gradually to the surface of the skin according to the movement prescribed by the type of massage applied.
- Before applying a specific application, the first touch should warm the area to be massaged. Only after that can the real massage begin.
Massage oil: for what benefits?
Massage oils are rich in benefits. They make it possible to:
- Nourish the skin with the active ingredients they contain.
- Relax and relax the muscles by bringing freshness and soothing.
- Redesign the silhouette through depurative actions.
- Follow at the same time as the massage a dietary diet, allowing to eliminate more quickly the excess of fatty masses, especially cellulite.
- Contribute to the rehydration and firming of the skin.